Tidy Tip Tuesday - Produce, Butter and Lemons (Oh my!)

Obviously, I didn't get Tuesday's tidy tip posted on this past Tuesday. I think I had a "senior moment". So, I will attempt to compensate for the missed post by offering more than one tidy tip today.

Produce Wash: Vegetable sprays are expensive, but there are several cheap, and effective ways to clean produce. Baking soda: To remove ordinary dirt and pesticide residue, wet the fruit - an apple for instance - with water, then sprinkle on some baking soda, rubbing to clean. Rinse with clear water. Vinegar: To remove harmful pathogens, either spray with full strength white vinegar and rinse, or soak produce in a bowl of water plus one cup white vinegar. (This is what I did on our trips to Uganda and we never had a problem with produce that would otherwise have been a problem, such as lettuce.)

To soften butter:
When you need to soften butter in a hurry, grate the solid cube on the largest holes of a cheese grater. If you need melted butter, place the grated butter in a small saucepan on very low heat. It melts much faster this way.

Squeezing lemons:
My sister-in-law from Italy - a phenomenal cook - showed me this trick. For a fast way to juice lemons without having to clean a juicer, first roll the lemon (or lime) on the cutting board, applying pressure to soften it. Cut the lemon in half. With a fork, poke lots of holes in the lemon half and then squeeze both sides of the half together (towards the fork) twisting the fork every which way. Lots of juice!

Have a great day and send me some of your tips!

Comments

Popular Posts