Tidy Tip Tuesday - Good, Cheap Tools


These two turners are the best I've found for ease of flipping pancakes, eggs, hamburgers - essentially anything in a pan. They flip food neatly, without making a mess of things (never a broken egg).

But to find these tools new is nigh to impossible. Neither one of the two seem to be available anywhere that I know of (new). Both are made by EKCO. I found the one with the black handle at a thrift shop and my mother gave me the one with the wooden handle.

The thing I like about these turners is that they are both flat across the edge that does the turning. That's exactly why they are good for turning. It is easy to slide the turner under the entire portion of food in the pan, lift it up and flip it over neatly. Both are good for scraping off cooked-on food from the pan too. I also like the fact that both turners are metal. I do not like nylon or non-stick. Food sticks to them (non-stick? I don't think so) and makes turning food impossible.

Because I could not find a second turner of this kind, I purchased others that had a curved edge. Even though I paid real good money for them at special kitchen stores, they were useless and I ended up getting rid of them. Then I got the idea to look in thrift shops. Ta-da! An easy find there!

So now I just keep an eye out whenever I am at a thrift shop. I can usually find the flat-edged turners there for under a dollar - a nice tidy price!

Comments

Popular Posts