My Second Childhood Officially Begins

Today I turned 59, but I think I am regressing back and have, as of today, officially begun my second childhood. This may get confusing, but just keep reading and in the end it will all come clear.

In the years before my dad went to be with the Lord in May of 2003, he was a prolific writer, recounting much of his own life. He also wrote specifically about each one of his children. The following is a short piece he wrote about me:
As Sharon grew older and began dressing herself, particularly putting on her coat, we realized that she had a problem. We really noticed it after we had taken some pictures of her and they were developed. On every picture in which she was wearing a coat, we noticed that the top button was not buttoned in the corresponding buttonhole, but was buttoned into the second buttonhole, leaving Sharon looking kind of lopsided. She persisted in doing this until I thought, "Maybe my wife doesn't like her little girl." You know, the 'Smother's Brothers' influence. I wondered if perhaps her mother was sewing the top buttonhole closed. But after close examination, I found this was not the case at all. Thankfully, Sharon eventually learned to button her clothes correctly. I have promised not to tell how old she was when she learned how to do it right.
So now that you've been let in on my shortcomings as a small child, I'm sure you wouldn't mind seeing some of those photos for yourself. Here are three. In the first two, my coat is not buttoned, but it doesn't matter. You can see how I started out all wrong even with the coat unbuttoned. This has been a family joke for as long as I can remember. My sister is all squared away, nice and neat; my little brother is all orderly, but I am just like my dad said - lopsided and somewhat disheveled.

Guess which one is me in this photo.

And in this one also.

In this photo, it seems that my coat may be buttoned right,
but it doesn't seem to help the disheveled look, does it?

Now let me tell you about today. My sister, my mom and I went out to eat lunch. After we had our fill of delicious sushi, I stood up and my sister Kathy, still seated, looked up at me and started cracking up. Mom then joined her in the hysteria. "Look at your shirt, Sharon! Just look at your shirt." So I did. And this is what I saw:
Scroll down...










Keep going..











Keep going...










You're almost there...









Ah, here it is:
Now I'm sure you understand. Today my second childhood
officially began - lopsided and a whole lot disheveled!


Note: One last note, I just noticed what the Bible verse for today is (new verse posted daily on the right side bar): "Even to your old age and gray hairs I am He, I am He who will sustain you. I have made you and I will carry you; I will sustain you and I will rescue you." (Isaiah 46:4) Comforting, and appropriate, don't you think? I've had a very happy, memorable and blessed birthday!

Comments

  1. HA! HA!! Only you Sharon..only you!! That's why I love you so much!! Goodnight!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Sharon,

    Happy Birthday! I didn't realize we share the same birthday month. My birthday was on Monday and like you, I had a very happy, memorable and blessed birthday as well. God is good, isn't He? By the way, love the pics...they are hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Arlene! You are so kind. And Vangie, Happy Belated Birthday to you! Yours, I take it is on the 8th - this past Monday?

    Well, this life is so interesting, and to help us get through, God blesses us with the gift of laughther, something I did quite a lot of yesterday. Even today, reading your comments has made me laugh all over again.

    Love to you both,
    The perpetually 4-year old good (old) woman

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was hysterical Sharon!!! Thanks for sharing your imperfections, makes me feel normal!


    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mom,
    Your pictures were great! I had a pretty good laugh....(with you of course)...not at you. Glad to hear you had a good day today.

    Your son-in-law,
    Curtis

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Sharon,
    I just read your Tuesday birthday. Soooo funny. Do you think one arm is longer than the other!!!!:o) Love the old pictures too.
    You know, the Isaiah verses are good ones. I have been struggling with turning 60, then 61.
    Love you,
    Arlene

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Arlene,
    You could be right about one arm being longer than the other. But if you look at the pictures, in the first 2 my left arm looks longer and in the last 2, my right arm looks longer! Maybe they take turns! HA! One day the Lord will fix all these imperfections. Hallelujah!

    Sharon

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts