Question About "Let's Talk Chicken"

Anne had a question about the "Let's Talk Chicken" post (see below). She left a comment asking where I buy whole chicken.

The answer:
I get whole chickens at either Whole Foods Market or Trader Joes. At Whole Foods, they are sold unpackaged out of the meat case. The butcher will cut them up it you like, though I do not like their odd way of doing this and almost always cut them up at home myself. I do not buy organic chicken. Rather, I get "Rocky Range" chickens at Whole Foods; specifically, I get the ones called Rocky Juniors, though they are not small, usually 5 pounds or heavier.

The other place I find whole chicken is at Trader Joes. Here they are pre-packaged, but run just about the same price. Trader Joes offers two kinds of whole chicken - one is called "natural" and the other, which is what I get, is called "free range".

Like I said in the "Let's Talk Chicken" post, I prefer buying about a 5-pound bird (there are only 2 of us). For a larger family you may want to buy a heavier chicken or two smaller ones (4 to 5 pounds) and treat them as one in preparation as the post below describes.

Happy shopping!

Photobucket

Comments

Popular Posts