Tidy Tip Tuesday - No More Moths

Years ago I really got into crafting dried floral arrangements, mainly swags to hang over a doorway. I don't do that anymore, but there was an unwelcome residue that remained - grain moths. Though I did not realize it at the time these pests were in some of the dried flowers that I purchased and brought into the house. Grain moths love dried plant material, seeds, dried fruits, nuts, wheat, dried pet food, essentially any food or plant stuffs that are dried. They spread to my kitchen and before long were in boxes of cereal, in the flour bin, in the cornmeal, etc. I spent a lot of time and energy trying to get rid of them to no avail.

Then when we moved from one town to the neighboring town, into our present home, we brought the little buggers with us, though they were greatly reduced in numbers from all my efforts.

Sometime thereafter on a shopping trip to Home Depot I discovered the answer to this problem - Safer (brand) moth traps - called The Pantry Pest Trap (as seen to the right). These are sticky traps with a strong pheromone (insect hormone) attractant. Moths fly to the trap, attracted by the scent (only they can smell it) and then are trapped on the sticky surface. Goodbye grain moths!

I really like these traps for several reasons:
1. They really work! I have not seen a single moth for several years now.
2. They are non-toxic. You can use them in your kitchen (right next to the flour or cornmeal, etc.) without concern for food safety.
3. They are inexpensive.

Though the moths are gone from my home, I continue to keep some traps in my kitchen cabinets just in case the sneaky little pests make their way through my front door again.

Photobucket

Comments

Popular Posts